Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Vegetarianism

I'm going veg. I decided that yesterday after a very long internal monologue concerning the copious amounts of fast food roast beef and potato cakes I had for lunch. Don't get me wrong, I like meat. But what I like more is eating clean food. And it really does come down to being able to afford organic beans, grains, and veggies versus being able to afford mystery meat and questionable veggies. And don't even get me started on the price of gluten free goodies....that's a whole other tirade. So today is day one. Split pea and toast for lunch, oat groats and lentil-winter vegetable soup (shown) for dinner. And I now have an apple crisp in the oven. ...And a bunch of meat in my freezer. I'll flexitarian it out of there slowly. (Yes, I know flexitarian is not a verb) Besides, it's Co-op meat. That is, ground elk and bison, and a whole chicken raised by people with standards. Could be worse, right?


P.S. The soup was awesome. It contains sweet potato, turnip, red, purple, and yellow potato, carrots, celery, butternut squash, zucchini, red onion, shallots, and garlic.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I haven't eaten meat since September, and it feels like a relief not to eat it. Zero desire for meat. Vegetarianism can be thoroughly fulfilling and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete