Friday, March 25, 2011

I'm tired because of....energy drinks?

So lately I've been on a quest to figure out why I never have any energy. I realize that this is not normal, as I am a 26 year old who recently quit smoking, (yay oxygen!) eats primarily organic, and gets sufficient sleep. But still I drag myself through each day, relying on a cup or two of coffee in the morning, and several english breakfasts throughout the afternoon. For a while I was thinking that maybe I've gone a little crazy with the GF carbs, because the products available now are far superior to the saw dust blocks that were around when I first went of gluten. But my dad suggested that it may be caffeine, and recommended that I read "Caffeine Blues" by Stephen Cherniske So I did. And it makes a lot of sense. He has a checklist of symptoms, and shows you how to find out how much caffeine you're actually consuming in that giant mug of coffee. Turns out a good estimate for me is between 500 and 900 mgs of caffeine, depending on the day. I'm not a big fan of following other people's plans, so instead of the reduction plan the author outlines, I'm switching from coffee to black tea in the morning, and from black tea to green tea in the afternoon. I'll be doing that for a few weeks and then switching from black to green in the morning, and green to herbal in the afternoon. And before you know it I'll be caffeine free. This is actually pretty exciting, because this year is the year I vow to get super healthy, and so far I have made some excellent headway (the aforementioned organic food and cigarette ban.) maybe after this project I'll get back into yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment